Hello BEAUTIFUL YOUNG PEOPLE!
It’s me, ya girl who knows JUST enough about WordPress to POST EVERY 4 MONTHS!
Are you DYING for more thumb-obscured pictures providing evidence that I was on a different continent? Well LOOK NO FURTHER! I’m here with another travel post!
but OH HO HO, I have fooled you– this post is not about VISITING for only 5 MINUTES. I just needed a click-bait-ier way to say “this is a post about travel tips for Amsterdam that will take you 5 minutes to read”
SO VOILÀ. Read on for a mini-blog on visiting Amsterdam!
Amsterdam and Utrecht, Netherlands:
Last August, I bopped my way over to the Netherlands to see an old friend after visiting Prague for a research conference.
I split my time between Amsterdam (2 days) and a town just outside called Utrecht (1 day) where my friends lived.
The Netherlands is, like, really cool. In so many ways. Also temperature-wise (even in August).
And the people. THE PEOPLE. I think I am about 1/100,000th as cool as any given person in the Netherlands. #butImQUIRKYandAWKWARD-CUTE #RIGHT???
….and I’m also 1/infinity as able to ride a bike (why yes, I AM THE ONE PERSON ON EARTH WHO FORGOT HOW TO RIDE A DAMN BIKE. but I LIVED suckaaaas!!! #survivor).
Amsterdam on a map
Amsterdam in 3 words
Museums, boats (on canals), and BIKES
(…there are a f*ckton of bikes. Christ.).
- Book a visit to the Van Gogh Museum (& pay for the self-guided audio tour!)
- Have a coffee and admire the view from Blue Amsterdam café (Dutch Wannabe has a great post on how to find it)
- Stroll through the hidden Begijnhof Garden
- Visit a canal house museum (I went to the Museum Von Loon)
- Take a day trip to beautiful Utrecht to escape the crowds
Don’t do this!
- Attempt to book a same-day Anne Frank House visit (they’re booked weeks in advance)
- Use any storage locker but the ones inside Amsterdam Centraal (safe and SO MUCH CHEAPER).
- Wear bright colors (you WILL stand out) and/or expect it to be warm at any time of year in The Netherlands (oopz!!)
Getting lost among the canals, alleyways, and cobblestone streets.
Outside of Amsterdam, you are a FREAK if you are not using a bike to get from A–>B. Seriously. I was the ONLY PERSON walking ANYWHERE in Utrecht, and it was obvious I was a WEIRDO AMERICAN.
Put this in your mouth!
Stroopwafels, pannenkoeken (dutch pancakes), and bitterballen.
…or shall I say, in Dutch, sprickenfloosen!! (just kidding I made that up)
DEAREST READER, have you ever been to Amsterdam? If so, what would you add to make this a SIX minute travel post?! Let me know in the comments (or ~*txt it*~)!
Yours still scarred from riding a bike though the streets after 3 glasses of wine,
P.S. – Here’s the GoPro video I made from my EuroTrip 2k18!!